Friday, November 7, 2008

Recent Events in Salzburg


The pictures from this post are not recent but I have taken them since coming to Salzburg. The one above is looking over the Salzach River to the Altstadt. I think there might be portions of the old city on both sides but the side that this shows is the side that I live on and where my classes are. On this day I sat at a bench by the river and did some homework. I was minding my own business, but also people watching when I needed a quick distraction.

All of a sudden the person rolls up to me on his bike. I flash a friendly smile and say Hello. The following conversation happens in German. He asks "How are you?" I say "good" and go back to reading so that he will see I am busy. Then he asks what I am doing and if I'm an austrian? When I say I'm from America he says, "you must be married". I smiled and said no. After a few more seconds of awkward, he says "have fun" or something like that and rides away.

I want everyone to know that I was incredibly polite. But honestly, who tries to pick up a complete stranger in a park??? Well it was funny and maybe a compliment to me, I guess.


There is a note by this fountain to tell people not to drink the water. But today when I was walking around, I say a faucet coming out of a wall basically. And it had an image of a cup, so you can drink that water. Very strange. At school I haven't seen a single water fountain. If I bring a water bottle, I fill it up in the bathroom. But I wonder why they don't just have water fountains and if that is an austrian thing, european thing, or just a salzburg university thing. ??

So one Sunday in Salzburg I decided to go to an English speaking protestant service that our study abroad program had listed in a packet of info we got during orientation. I walk in a bit late to the church because I missed the bus I was supposed to take.


I quickly realized I was in the wrong place because the preacher was speaking in German. Also as I looked around the congregation of 15 to 20 adults, I thought there seemed to be a lot of children. This was unexpected because the birth rate in Germany and Austria is maybe around 1.2 or so. The likelihood that so many couples in the same church would have this many kids was slim!

One toddler was walking in the aisle and went toward the stage. The preacher told the father not to worry, just let her walk around. For the service they re-enacted the birth of Moses and the Egyptian princess finding him in the river. With costumes and crowd participation and then they passed out cake to each of us.

Afterward I read a sign that the English service was being held next door. I went to that one since I was only 45 min late for it. Come to find out the German church occasionally holds a children's service. On those days the English congregation who also uses the sanctuary go to a different building.



The english service went well also. Some of the people were friendly. They announced that a student bible study was going to start that week. I have enjoyed going to that as we decided to learn about the life of Paul and then read some of his letters in the New Testament. Most of the other students have lived in Salzburg for at least a year already and the group is led by two guys who work with Campus
Crusade 4 Christ in Austria. I thought it was cool that they have it in Austria as well as in the US, since I know folks in SC that work with CC4C.

Well the weather is turning cold but it is still bearable. When it first snows, I will be sure to document it, but I hope that it is still a month or 2 away. Upcoming posts, coming to a blog near you (in my movie trailer voice): my trip to Romania, hiking down Untersberg, my trip to Vienna, and a visit to a Schloss in Salzburg.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are having fun and it is great experiencing this with you. The photos are wonderful.
    God bless you and keep you safe. Lots of love. Merry Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog! The photos and your commentary is awesome!
    Love you,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete