Sunday, June 6, 2010

Week 1 in Tours



Well it has taken me a few extra days to get settled and then take enough pictures to share on this blog. If you haven't noticed yet, I am living abroad again. This time in a new country, France.

I should start by saying that Tours is pronounced tour, without the 's'. I am learning French for the first time and that is a rule with exceptions to the rule which I am painfully and slowly figuring out.

I am living in Tours for the months of June and July and after completing the semester I will be officially done with school as a student! It feels great and I am enjoying this learning environment even though I miss the friends I made in Bowling Green, Ohio over the last 9 months.

That brings me to another thought. Often I have been asked how I feel about coming here and living. Very aware of how short 2 months is, I have this strange attitude that I remember moving to BG with. I like it well enough here, but there is no use getting excited or attached, because you are going to have to move again soon. I don't find this to be a bad feeling, though maybe I should be more ecstatic.?

So far I have had super positive experiences. I won't begin to compare life in Germany, Austria, and France, because 1)I haven't been in any of those places long enough and 2)it just wouldn't be fair. People have been friendly. Prices for food, etc seem reasonable. The weather has had its ups and downs but overall nice.

During the first week, I have had my share of feeling frustrated, bored, exhausted, nervous, and shy. As with German, I am starting out very shy when it comes to speaking and using French. Please pray that I can get over this or find people to speak with that have patience for me. My french really is terrible at this point, but it won't get any better if I don't speak.

This post is probably long enough. So I will stop here and offer you the chance to ask questions. What do you want to know? I'll include pictures with me in them next time, and I will tell you more about the program and folks I live with.

Btw click on the picture above to see more, and my comments, if you haven't yet.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Mary Beth,
    Ne t'en fais pas! Your French will get better! I'm sure that you will be able to communicate quite a bit after the first three to four weeks.....just be patient with yourself and remember what you told your GERM 1010 students-don't worry about making mistakes-just talk, talk, talk :-)

    Hope you're having a great time!
    Bon courage!
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't sweat it. I was taught to kind of place my mouth in an "o" position when speaking French otherwise it really doesn't sound right. It helped me. Come to me to vent about anything whenever. You will have a great time though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update...got the house back in 'some' order, just for you to think thru things when you return. Can't wait for the pictures too. Love mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mary, welcome back in Europe!
    I already checked ... it takes 11 hours from Salzburg to Tours. Thats quite far.
    Would have been nice to see you there! .. and see that city. But well .. I fear that is a bit too far away.
    I understood you're a french-beginner? wow! Very brave. Did you already finish your german studies?

    Wish you a great time in France!
    À bientôt!
    Je t'embrasse et que Dieu te benisse!
    Margit from Salzburg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Beth you are to be congratulated for seeking and trying new endeavors that will make you an even stronger and more versatile in today's changing times. You have come a long way since your days as Head Manager for the Golden Eagle football team. It is hard to believe that just a few short years ago, you were picking up sweaty towels and giving thirsty boys gatorade. The Athens football coaching staff are very proud of you and wish you well. Enjoy your new adventure!

    Coach Greenhaw
    Athens, Alabama

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chère Mary-Beth,
    félicitations et bon courage! Tout ira bien pour toi, parce que tu es très courageuse et intelligente, et tu as l'esprit d'être curieuse!
    Ich weiß das, weil du mal meine Deutsch-Schülerin gewesen bist.
    Alles Liebe und Gute in Tours,
    deine Frau Jones

    ReplyDelete